Valpolicella tour to taste Amarone in the best wineries
Valpolicella is a hilly landscape just before the Veronese pre-Alps. This “Land of Venice” is house to many renowned wineries to visit and is known to offer memorable wine tours. The Valpolicella region is the perfect place to take a break from the busy everyday life and spend the whole day relaxing among the hills and the vineyards. Would you like to combine a winetasting with some local food? Our Valpolicella Tour & Wine Tasting departing from lake Garda will be the right pick!
A taste of the Valpolicella region
People have been living in Valpolicella since the stone Age and its wine has been famous and highly requested throughout the country since the Middle Ages! Studies in the area give reasons to believe that up to 40% of farmland was exclusively dedicated to vineyards. In the 19th century the first wine cooperative were founded.
San Giorgio is one of the most beautiful villages to visit of the Valpolicella Valley as it has a spectacular view of its surrounding area. In San Giorgo you can find the Pieve of San Giorgio a romanesque church dating back to VII-VIII century; this means it is one of most ancient places of worship of the region! From the cloister you can enter the archaeological site, where you can see buildings that date back to the Iron Age.
Most interesting curiosities about Valpolicella
- The Wine “Valpolicella” was recognised as a DOC wine in 1968
- In Roman times the wine produced in this area was called Retico, it was served at the emperor’s court and it was even quoted by the supreme poet Virgil
- Valpolicella DOC is made from the grapes of 3 different vineyards: Corvina, Molinara and Rondinella
- The origin of the name Valpolicella isn’t sure. Some says that it derives from the Latin Vallis-polis-cellae, which means valleys with many cellars. Other says that the name comes from the Greek word Polyzelos, which means land “of many fruits”
- The name Ingannapoltron, tied to the name of the village of San Giorgio, dates back to Middle Ages and it means “cheat the dull”. This title is due to the wrong optical view given on the distance of the village
Reasons to choose our Valpolicella Tour & Wine Tasting from Lake Garda
- The tour includes the bus trip on an air-conditioned bus which departs from multiples town on Lake Garda.
- In one day, you can visit a typical cellar and taste the wines of the Valpolicella area, have lunch in an agriturismo and visit San Giorgio.
- You won’t have to worry about how much you will taste as you will be taken back to your starting point on lake Garda.
Included in the Valpolicella tour
- Guided round trip with a coach
- Tour and Tasting in one of our selected wineries
- Free time in San Giorgio
Good to know before booking our Valpolicella Tour & Wine Tasting from Lake Garda
- (Especially) in high season we recommend booking 48 hours in advance to ensure availability.
- It is possible to bring wheelchairs and strollers on board, but only if they can be folded.
- Experience not suitable for children under 18 years.
- Pets are not allowed.
- Our tour is available in English or German.