Mantua Day Trip from lake Garda
South of Lake Garda, a capital of the Italian Renaissance rises in all its splendor, a treasure of art, culture, history and nature. I’m talking about Mantua, the Lombard jewel reflected in the lakes that surround it. The Mincio river accompanies all cyclists, and non-cyclists, who decide to take the renowned cycle path that connects Peschiera del Garda to Mantua. Are you staying on the shores of the largest lake in Italy and are you wondering how to visit Mantua in one day? The Mantua day trip from Lake Garda will give you the certainty of discovering every curiosity, every pill of history and breathtaking views.
A TASTE OF MANTOVA
Want to know the meaning of the name Mantua? A legend tells that the foundation of the city took place at the hands of the Greek soothsayer Mantua and that we owe the name of Mantua to her; more likely the origins of the name are to be attributed to the infernal Etruscan divinity Mantu, with reference to the ancient Etruscan settlements in the Mantua area.
Several families succeeded each other, such as the Canossa, the Bonacolsi and the Gonzaga. Under the rule of the last and most powerful family, Mantua reached its maximum splendor, both in the economic-political field as in the artistic field.
Great artists and architects such as Leon Battista Alberti, Giulio Romano and Andrea Mantegna contributed to making the city famous. Palazzo Ducale, Palazzo Te, the Basilica of Sant’Andrea, the Rotonda di San Lorenzo, Palazzo San Sebastiano are just some of the monuments and churches that can be visited. After Napoleon’s rule, Mantua returned to Austria, and was part of the defensive Quadrilatero with Verona, Legnago and Peschiera del Garda.
Interesting to know
- The Mincio River, the emissary of Lake Garda at Peschiera, flows through the gentle slopes of the morainic hills, characterized by numerous fortified villages, and reaches Mantua. Around the city, the river widens and stretches into three lakes: Superior, Middle, and Inferior.
- In the past, the city was surrounded by a fourth lake, Lake Paiolo, which was drained around 1750 to make the area healthier and promote urban development.
- Did you know that these river basins are the result of the ingineer of Alberto Pitentino? In fact, in 1190, he managed to regulate the course of the river to make the city safer.
- It is the Superior Lake that offers a fascinating and unmissable natural spectacle. In the months of July and August, it is adorned with white and pink petals, thanks to the blossoming of the lotus flower, a plant imported from the East in 1921 and has become one of the symbols of the city.
And if I told you that with the bus tour from Lake Garda to Mantua, they have also thought about these things? Let’s discover together how to visit Mantua in one day.
Why should you book this Mantova day trip from lake Garda
- The bus to Mantua leaves every Thursday (from 15 June to 15 September 2023) from various towns on Lake Garda. I invite you to look at the starting points, maybe you will find one right near your accommodation!
- You arrive at your destination prepared and equipped with useful information and advice that will immediately make your visit easier.
- During the day in Mantua you can visit the historic center with a guide, with its squares, monuments and churches.
- You will have free time to visit the city on your own.
- You will be able to take advantage of a motorboat trip on the lakes, surrounded by nature, in front of the exciting skyline of the city.
- If you wish, you can visit the civic museums of Mantua (Palazzo Te, Palazzo San Sebastiano – MACA and Tempio di San Sebastiano)
Included in this bus tour
- Coach to go and get back from Mantua
- Guide on the bus
- Guided city tour with a local guide
- Boat trip around the lakes of Mantua
- Reduced rate to visit the museums in Mantua
Useful information before booking our Day Trip to Mantova from lake Garda
- In high season we recommend booking 48 hours in advance to ensure availability.
- It is possible to bring wheelchairs and strollers on board, but only if they can be folded.
- Pets are not allowed.
- Our tour is available in English or German.