Venice is a work of art in every aspect. Built on water and surrounded by islands, this city is full of a unique architecture and interesting curiosities and legends to tell. Wherever you turn you will find a hidden corner with a detail to photograph and take home with you. By booking our Lake Garda to Venice day trip by bus we will discover together these anecdotes and historical information. You will also have free time to visit Venice on your own. Whether it’s the first time or the umpteenth time, you will discover that this city is able to surround you with an almost fairy-tale and surreal atmosphere every time you visit it.
A TASTE OF VENICE
Venice developed a myth saying it was founded by people fleeing from Troy. Evidence shows though that it was probably formed in the 6th century, when Italian refugees, fleeing the Lombard invaders, camped on the islands in the lagoon. The settlement grew and soon had an outside ruler, appointed by the Byzantine Empire.
In 751, when the Lombards conquered Ravenna, the Byzantine ruler became a Venetian doge, appointed by the merchant families who had emerged in the city. Over the following centuries, Venice became a very important trading center. Doing business with both the Islamic world as the Byzantine Empire.
The city became richer and independence was gained in 1082. In the 18th century, however, trade moved to the Atlantic Ocean (Antwerp and Rotterdam) and as a result Venice lost most of its importance. When Napoleon took the city in 1797, the last of the 120 doges resigned. Only with the unification of Italy, Venice returned being an important harbor.
INTERESTING TO KNOW…
According to some scholars, the term “Venice” derives from the Latin “Venetia” which in the Augustan age was used for the famous Regio X which indicated a region in which 13 other cities were part. Also, the Byzantines and Romans used to use a name to indicate a wider region, the name they used was Venetikà or Venetia Maritima.
It is not surprising that “Venice and its Lagoon” was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1987.
Why should you choose our Lake Garda to Venice day trip bus tour?
- Possibility to leave from all the shores of Lake Garda with a private coach.
- You will arrive at your destination prepared with useful information and advice to start your visit right away.
- During your day in Venice you will be able to visit the most important points of interest such as the Bridge of Sighs, the Church of S. Marco, the Campanile, the Rialto Bridge and other wonderful monuments.
- You have free time to explore the city on your own.
- Possibility to add a gondola ride or a Laguna Cruise to enrich your experience and admire the beautiful Venice Lagoon and its islands from the water!
- Coach trip to go and come back on Lake Garda
- Tour leader on the bus
- Private boat trip to S. Mark island and return
- Guided visit in the city with your guide
Useful information before booking our Lake Garda to Venice day trip bus tour
- (Especially) in high season we recommend booking 48 hours in advance to ensure availability.
- It is not possible to bring wheelchairs and strollers on board. Keep in mind that Venice is full off bridges.
- Pets are not allowed.
- Our tour is available in English or German.
- Choose the “East Coast” Lake Garda to Venice day trip if you start from: Limone, Riva, Nago, Torbole, Malcesine, Assenza, Castelletto di Brenzone, Pai, Torri del Benaco, Garda, Bardolino, Cisano, Lazise, Pacengo and Peschiera del Garda.
- Choose the “West Coast” Lake Garda to Venice day trip if you start from: Gargnano, Toscolano Maderno, Fasano, Gardone, Salò, San Felice del Benaco, Portese, Moniga, Padenghe, Desenzano, Sirmione, Rivoltella, Colombare, San Benedetto.
In case you’re planning to go to Venice by train from Lake Garda, check the article How to visit Venice in one day to know how. Just remember: it’s not always easy to get to Venice by train from Lake Garda. Most of the times, you have to change train in Verona. To catch the second one to Venice, you have usually only 5-10 minutes.
AVAILABLE EXTRA SERVICES to be booked during the tour
- Gondola tour (25min €28,- p.p.) Laguna Cruise (1h €25,- p.p.) Gondola + Laguna €45,-