Why a gondola in Peschiera?
What better way than visiting and admiring the Venetian walls of Peschiera del Garda than during a gondola ride?
The town of Peschiera del Garda is surrounded by a Venetian pentagonal fortress, built between the 16th and 17th centuries as a defensive structure. More precisely, the construction began in 1550 under the supervision of the Duke of Urbino, Guidobaldo II della Rovere, who was the commander of the Venetian militias.
Vintage photos demonstrate that during the occupation of the Serenissima Repubblica of Venice, Venetian gondolas landed in Peschiera del Garda. It is not surprising, then, that centuries later the gondola has returned to what was once its home.
On the other hand, the fortress has also been recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Since June 9, 2017, the enchanting Venetian walls have attracted thousands of visitors each year. And what better way to admire them than aboard a gondola? An experience that will leave you breathless and transport you back in time, to four hundred years ago.
Curious facts about gondolas
- The gondola is a symbolic reference to the city of Venice worldwide.
- Why are gondolas all black? During the time of the Serenissima Repubblica of Venice, there was a competition to make them a symbol of power and luxury. The nobles who owned gondolas would compete to make their own gondola more lavish and colorful than others. The Senate of the Republic had to intervene and establish black as the mandatory color, in order to curb this trend, imposing fines for those who violated the rule.
- The highest point of the gondola represents the Doge’s hat, while the iron prow of the gondola symbolizes the shape of the Grand Canal. Its six “rebbi” represent the 6 districts of Venice.
Useful information to know before booking your gondola ride around the UNESCO walls of Peschiera del Garda:
- The gondola has a maximum capacity of 6 people.
- To ensure availability, it is recommended to book at least 2 days in advance.
- Upon request, the gondolier is also available at other times!
- Pets are not allowed.
- Not suitable for wheelchairs or strollers.
How to reserve your gondola ride in Peschiera del Garda?
- To book a 30-minute gondola ride around the fortress of Peschiera del Garda, you can choose from the available dates on the calendar. The tour costs €19 per person, while children between 3 and 9 years old only pay €10.
- You can also choose to reserve the entire gondola for you and your loved one, by choosing the “GIULIETTA&ROMEO Ride“. This is a private 30-minute tour for the lovebirds out there, with a small complimentary surprise. The price for this gondola ride in Peschiera del Garda is €20 per person, for those above 12 years old.
- Upon request, it is possible to book a one-hour gondola ride for €89. The boat will be exclusively reserved for you, and Marco, the gondolier, will treat you with a refreshing bottle of Prosecco.
The gondola ride in Peschiera del Garda starts from the left side of Porta Brescia. Just where two “Pali di Casada“; venetian canal poles rise from the water, you will find Marco waiting for you. Alternatively, to make a reservation, you can always visit our office. You can find us at Piazzale Betteloni No. 15, opposite the Municipality. We will be happy to assist you!